Thank you for reading my "Thursday's Thrill" blog post about Tenute Silvio Nardi's Brunello Manachiara, a beautiful wine that will pair fabulously with these short ribs. This recipe is adapted from a similar one by Emilia Nardi, owner of the winery in Montalcino area of Tuscany.
Serves 4 people
4 - 5 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed
1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
15 sage leaves, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons sea salt, minced
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, smashed
12 ounces of red wine
1) Marinate beef in red wine (about one bottle) for 2 - 3 hours, turning the meat occasionally.
2) Add juniper, rosemary, sage, minced garlic, salt and pepper to a small mixing bowl and stir together.
3) Remove beef from wine and rub the mixture all over the meat. Wrap with plastic wrap. Let rest overnight in the fridge.
4) Preheat oven to 300° F. Put olive oil, garlic and two glasses of red wine in bottom of a baking pan and mix together. Place beef in pan. Put in oven and bake for 2 hours, basting every 20 minutes with the juices.
5) Increase the temperature to 400° F and bake for another hour, continuing to baste. Once ready, place the meat on a platter and let the meat rest for 20 minutes. Strain the sauce and serve it with the short ribs.